COVID-19 and Partner Visas (September update)

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

As you may be aware, you can only travel to Australia if you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, an immediate family member of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or are a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia.


Travellers who have a compassionate or compelling reason to travel to Australia will need to have an exemption from the Australian Border Force Commissioner.


You are only considered to be an immediate family member if you are:

  • a spouse
  • a de facto partner
  • a dependent child/ren
  • a legal guardian.


Partner (subclasses 100, 309, 801, 820) visa holders can come to Australia. You do not need to request an exemption.


However, you may need to provide the Department of Home Affairs with evidence of your relationship.


Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders can’t come to Australia at the moment.

Written by Guner Hussein

Principal Solicitor

LPN: 5512271

The information contained in this publication is of a general nature only. It should not be used as legal advice. Please refer to our website’s terms of use for more information, or book a consultation to get started with us.

Recent Posts

Migration law
Guner Hussein

COVID 19 and Coming to Australia (2)

Travel bans continue to be enforced by Australia as a protective measure against COVID 19.   Health Minister Greg Hunt today confirmed that the “human

Read more

Book a Consultation:

Book your consultation:

Our Migration Lawyers Can Help
You Get Your Next Visa, Fast!

Our Migration Lawyers Can Help You Get Your Next Visa!

If you need a Visa, our Migration Lawyers in Melbourne have all the experience and knowledge you need to create a successful Visa application.

Select a Migration Lawyer below to start a WhatsApp chat: